Thursday 12 May 2016

Simple Mini Album Construction

Hello cool people!  Autumn here with a little tutorial for you on creating a simple mini album.  Recently, I was sorting my designer paper and decided to remove the chipboard backs off of the pads of paper (ahem - to make more room for paper...)  Anyway, I thought it would be fun to create a painted mini album that didn't have to be covered with designer paper (because apparently I need to hoard it!)  Wrapping book covers can be so tricky, ya know, so I hope you will enjoy this option.

 I cut one of my ticker sheets of chipboard down to 6" x 12".  Next, I used my score board to score lines on both the back and front 4 3/4" from each side.  This resulted in a rather thick binding.  You could narrow and change the dimensions to your preference.  Then I punched two holes for the binding.  The chipboard cracked at the seam, but to me that adds to the texture of what would become a grungy, distressed album anyway.  To further accentuate the cracks, I scraped all the edges, inside and out, with a pair of scissors, then scribed lines into the cardboard.

Here you can see the cracks, but I promise the end result is sturdy, the cracking is only on the top layer of the chipboard.  If it bothers you, you could cover with washi tape, just add some adhesive on top and bottom for security.  Next, I gessoed the entire book  to prepare the surface for my watercolor.

First I stenciled the inside and out with a beautiful ledger stencil.  Next, I applied layer of layer of various colors of watercolor paint, heat setting between each layer.

 I printed various copyright free images from a Google search and The Graphics Fairy, along with several verses for my collages.   I also blended in lots of stamped images and die cuts.

The pages inside are envelopes so I can store little notes, scripture, and journal snippets.  I prepped the envelopes with gesso to support the weight and paint.

Because the book is quite thick, I was able to add 3-Dimensional elements, and I will be able to stuff the envelopes quite full.  I had intended to do  more pages, but my husband used my craft envelopes for bills!  To think!  ;0

For me, painting my own cover and elements was a perfect way to play along with Branka's Think Pink challenge this month.  I don't normally buy pink, so this was the perfect alternative.


One last shot at the simple binding, which will allow me to add more pages after a trip to town!  I hope you are inspired to join our Think Pink challenge this month.  Why not create a pink project for a special woman in your life?  Thanks for visiting, Autumn

18 comments:

  1. Autumn this is just plain GORGEOUS! The textures, colours and embellishments are fabulous. I Love the concept for this lovely project, up cycling and thinking pink at it's best! TFS Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Autumn this is so beautiful...what a fabulous folder you have created with room inside for more treasures. I did laugh when I read your Hb had used your envelopes for bills...bless. Thanks for sharing this, a real work of art x

    ReplyDelete
  3. brilliant mini album autumn - I really adore what you have done here - so very pretty! Hugs rachel x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE it! The pink and the owls... a winning combo in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad I have saved some chipboard from my paper organizing frenzy. I love how you used the cracking of the chipboard to your advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing work of art, Autumn! I am bookmarking to have a real good look at when I have more time to ogle every square inch and hang on every word! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wooow, Autumn, what a beautiful mini book you've created! Amazing detailed tutorial! I am so inspired! Love it! Hugs! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial Autumn......thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic album Autumn ! Love the images you've used and the idea of the envelopes to store all your ephemera. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This really is a beautiful album Autumn, I love the contrasts between the pink, white and black and what a great idea to use envelopes to store little treasures. Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous Autumn this is one ultra gorgeous album constructed beautifully to hold chunky items and looks amazing in the colours you chose to use. Love it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Its out right gorgeous !! Am becoming a chipboard fan now ..The Creations you make from them is amazing !!. Love every work of yours . :) Hugs
    Remya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant project Autumn and a wonderful tutorial.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous work Autumn, love the elegant, soft shades used and great upcycling! A stunner! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely EXQUISITE. Just love your 'theme' of wisdom and your sentiments Autumn. Inspiring - to say the least. AWED. XXj.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Autumn, thank you for this awesome tutorial! Both my daughter and I love pink and owls, so I'd love to make something similar for her (one of these days). I, too, like to search for free images online and am also a paper hoarder - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful work Autumn! Love, love, love it!
    You are not alone huni - I have patterned paper to use but what do I do without thinking about it - make my own, grr, I have got to shrink that stash soon.
    I love what your pink owl album and I will try using gesso with watercolour paints again. The last time I tried it didn't work, thank you for the wonderful tutorial and your beautiful art Karen x

    ReplyDelete